Welcome...

Hi there!

Thanks for visiting. Here I will be blogging about restaurants in the local area and my gluten free experiences with them.

As a bit of background, I was diagnosed with coeliac disease 3 years ago and know how tough it is trying to find places to eat out. As such, I thought it would be handy to have somewhere that gave a list of local restaurants and how they treat us gluten-freers!

If you have visited anywhere that you think deserves a mention, leave a comment and I'll check it out. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/hertfordshireglutenfree and on twitter @hertsglutenfree

Nikki x

Monday 5 November 2012

A sneak peek at Domino's new gluten free pizza


 
I was very lucky to yesterday get the chance to try out Domino's new gluten free pizza, a couple of weeks before it's official release date of the 19th November, and am happy to say that it is fab!

I must admit, when I first heard that Domino's were going gluten free, I was a tad worried. Having been to Australia, where they have had the gluten free crust for a few years, and seen first hand how they take the gluten free base, and then prepare it on the same 'normal' floured surface as the 'normal' pizzas, I was concerned that here in the UK they would be as lax about cross contamination as their Australian counterparts.

However, their statement regarding cross contamination went a long way to putting me at ease regarding this. They really did seem to be taking it seriously. So I was really excited to actually try the new base. Fast forward to yesterday, when I rang up my local Dominos on the off chance that they would let me try it... and they did!

When it first arrived, I couldn't believe my eyes... literally! I actually could not believe that this was a gluten free pizza... so I made my non gluten free fiance try a bit first (despite not being gluten free, he is always my guinea pig, as he is pretty darn good at detecting if something is gluten free or not!). He tried it and confirmed that it definitely was gluten free and, to be fair, it did look different to his 'normal' pizza. So I tried my first slice.... mmmmmmmm! It's been 3 years since I was diagnosed coeliac, and I was never a massive Dominos fan so can't exactly remember what their normal pizzas taste like but, as far as I can remember, this was pretty damn close! The base was deep-pan and lovely and crisp. And, seeing as most of the toppings are suitable for gluten-free diets anyway (see http://www.takeafreshlook.co.uk/downloads/Ingredients-Allergens-Pizza-BasesToppings.pdf for the full list) I had my usual margherita with pepperoni and pineapple and it was delicious!

However, I was still a bit worried that there may have been some accidental cross contamination, so was concerned that after I'd eaten the pizza (which, by the way, I ate ALL of... no sharing here!) I would have some sort of glutened reaction that evening/today. Since cutting gluten out of my diet I have become very sensitive to it, even cross contaminated foods, and usually have a reaction within a few hours. But, it's 24 hours later and I am pleased to confirm... no reaction!!!

So, overall, massive thumbs up to Dominos. To me, tasted just like how I remember the 'normal' bases to taste, and for me, no reaction! I'm not saying that I'm now going to be having Dominos every night, but it is so good to have another take-away option, that isn't curry! Obviously, every store will be different, so always good to have a chat with your server/the manager to check that they fully understand the cross contamination issue.

Roll on 19th November! 9/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment