Welcome...

Hi there!

Thanks for visiting. Here I will be blogging about restaurants in the local area and my gluten free experiences with them.

As a bit of background, I was diagnosed with coeliac disease 3 years ago and know how tough it is trying to find places to eat out. As such, I thought it would be handy to have somewhere that gave a list of local restaurants and how they treat us gluten-freers!

If you have visited anywhere that you think deserves a mention, leave a comment and I'll check it out. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/hertfordshireglutenfree and on twitter @hertsglutenfree

Nikki x

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Pizza Express have finally gone gluten free!

Well, when I say finally, the gluten free menu was actually launched a few months ago, but wedding planning has been all consuming, hence the lateness of this post!


Having had some bad times with Pizza Express before they launched this menu (most notably, when they tried to re-serve me a salad which they had accidentally put bread sticks on, simply by taking the bread sticks off... Hello, cross contamination?!) I was head of the anti Pizza Express club. So when I heard that they were launching a gluten free menu, I was somewhat dubious. However, I was lucky enough to live in the same town as one of the restaurants that the new menu was being trialled in back in January so thought I may as well give them a go.

Due to my previous experiences with Pizza Express, I made sure to quiz them on their cross contamination knowledge, and was very impressed. All the staff had been trained on it and were fully aware of the steps that they needed to take to avoid it.

And the food itself... Pretty good! I have never been a massive fan of P.E. pizzas- I have always found them a bit too saucy(!) and this remains the same with the gluten free version. I am however aware that this is not a view shared by all, so if you liked P.E. before you went gluten free, I am sure you'll love it now.

The thing however that wins it for me is the fact that they serve gluten free beer! Bearing in mind how many chains now do gluten free menus (ASK, carluccios, prezzo etc) it actually seems quite rare for them to extend this to their drinks menu. Sure, many drinks are naturally gluten free anyway, but I have missed being able to go out and have a nice cold beer with my meal. So the fact that they do Green's Pilsner makes them a winner in my eyes!

Full gluten free menu can be found here... Pizza Express gluten free menu

Oh, and their gluten free brownie is pretty yummy too. 7/10




No comments:

Post a Comment